The History Behind Where It All Started
Fort Kent was erected in the summer of 1839 as an American border outpost during the undeclared Aroostook War. The blockhouse, the first structure built in what is present-day "city" of Fort Kent, was named after then-governor of Maine, Edward Kent. The Saint John River was a log driving route from upstream forests to downstream sawmills and paper mills until the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad began transporting pulpwood. As you can imagine, the wood & lumber industry is a livelihood for most. This industry is something we take pride in.
Our storefront dates back to the days of old-fashioned cutting by chainsaw. 214 West Main used to be two separate businesses, with the smaller of the two serving as a chainsaw shop (pictured to the left of the old J.C. Penny Co.). The other building (pictured to the right of Grant Co.) served as a convenience store, bar, and eventually, Roger's Sports Center. With the history of our town and storefront in mind, we understand the importance of providing the public with quality cabinets and sticking to our lumber roots.